Officers Row is a beautiful setting filled with twenty-two fully-restored nineteenth century homes situated on twenty-one acres just north of the Vancouver Barracks Parade Grounds. All listed on the National Historic Register, today these homes are offices and residences with several open to the public, including the Marshall House and Ulysses S. Grant House, the oldest house on the Row (built in 1850). Start or finish your tour with a meal at the restaurant at Fort Vancouver National Site, located in the stately Grant House. Download the Columbian's interactive series on Vancouver Barracks
General George C. Marshall House
Built in 1886, the elegant Queen Anne style Marshall House served as home to Brigadier General George C. Marshall and his wife Katherine from 1936 to 1938. At Vancouver Barracks Marshall commanded the Third Division's 5th Infantry Brigade and the region's Civilian Conservation Corps camps. Later during World War II, Marshall served as the Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army. He was Secretary of State (1947-1949) and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his work on the Marshall Plan which helped rebuild the economies of Europe and the Pacific nations after the war. Today the Marshall House is a museum open for tours and is available for weddings and other special events.
General Ulysses S. Grant House
Although Ulysses S. Grant served as quartermaster at Fort Vancouver from 1852 to 1853, he never lived in the Grant House, which was the post commander's quarters. During the American Civil War, Grant was the leading general in the Union Army. Later he served as President of the United States from 1869 to 1877.The Grant House, built in 1849, is the oldest remaining building at Vancouver Barracks. It began as a log structure, but eventually was covered with plank siding. Today the Grant House is a restaurant open to the public.
General O.O. Howard House
Considered "the finest dwelling house north of the Columbia" upon completion in 1878, this Italianate-Revival style home was first occupied by General Oliver Otis Howard, a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, founder of Howard University and the commanding general of the Department of the Columbia from 1874 to 1880. Today the house is the headquarters of Fort Vancouver National Trust.